Our Studio Policies
- There is an annual registration fee of $30.00 per dancer, with $5 for additional family members.
- There are two payment options for tuition. Please see the tuition schedule for details.
Invoices will NOT be mailed. If you choose the 4 payment option, statements will be emailed two weeks in advance of the payment due date. Please make sure that you have a valid email address on file. Late tuition is subject to a finance charge; any tuition over 14 days late will result in the suspension of the student until tuition (including late charges) is received.
- Payments may be mailed to the Webster Ave address or dropped at the studio. There is a white drop box on the studio porch where you may place your payment. If you are inside the studio, please give your payment in an envelope to an instructor. Make sure your payment is labeled with the student’s name and the purpose of the payment so your account can be updated properly
- Tuition is non-refundable, and non-transferable. There are no refunds for missed classes or dropping during the session.
- Finance Charges: Overdue accounts are subject to a finance charge of 1.5% per month (18%per annum). There will be a $30.00 fee charged for any returned checks that are received by Shirley Van’s Dance Studio, followed by payment in cash. If a check is returned please make all subsequent payments in cash.
- Discounts are available for families with more than one student, or for a student taking multiple classes. See the tuition schedule for details.
- Fundraising opportunites are available. These can help defray some of the cost.
- Adult Classes Only – You may opt to sign up for individual quarters, as your schedule permits. These are not performing classes, and can be joined at any time
- Primary communications will be done via email. Please be sure to list a valid email address on your registration form. If your email address changes during the season, it is your responsibility to contact the studio and let us know of the change. We will make every effort to keep our families informed.
- Attendance is very important for both the development of your dancer and the continuity of the class. If a student must miss a class due to illness or other conflict, please contact the studio and let us know.
Class Levels and Placement
- Students must wear a leotard for all classes. Shorts and t-shirt are not acceptable and the student will be asked to change.
- Creative Movement/Basic Dance – Leotard, tights and optional skirt/shorts/leggings for girls; t-shirt and sweatpants for boys; ballet and tap shoes
- Ballet, Interpetive/Lyrical – Any color leotard and tights, skirt or fitted dance shorts are optional; leather or canvas ballet shoes.
- Jazz/Tap/HipHop/Dance Team – Any color leotard and tights; non-baggy shorts or dance pants; appropriate shoes for the class – jazz or tap shoes, dance sneakers acceptable for HipHop.
- Contemporary – Dance attire that allows free movement – leotard or unitard, tights, fitted shorts or short dance skirt; dance paws or bare feet
- Gymnastics/Tumbling – Any color leotard or biketard; bare feet or jazz shoes for class – tan jazz shoes will be required for the recital
- Adult Classes – Comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear for the style of dance
- All jewelry should be removed – small stud earrings are acceptable; nothing dangling, no necklaces or bracelets
- Hair must be pulled back and out of the face
- Please NO costumes in any class
Costumes and recital
- Decisions about class levels are made at the discretion of the instructors
- Class levels are decided mainly by age and ability. If you have a question or concern about the class or class level you are assigned, please ask your instructor. We would be happy to help you understand our decisions. Not only is being at the wrong level difficult for the dancer in question, it is also not fair to their classmates.
- Changes in the class schedule may occur during the early part of the season due to new classes formed or the needs of a class. Please let us know of any request you may have regarding class time, level, or subject; we will notify you of any changes.
- Transfers may be made due to level adjustments or time conflicts, but must be cleared by the instructors before the changes are made.
- Costumes for our annual recital will be ordered in early January and are priced from appoximately $40 and up.
- A costume deposit of $30 PER CLASS will be collected at the time that measurements are due in early December. A parent of a minor student MUST be present to sign the measurement form and provide payment.
- No costume will be ordered for your dancer unless payment has been received in full. There are no refunds on costume charges.
- Tuition and costume fees must be current in order to participate in the recital.
- The recital typically takes place the first or second weekend in June, on a Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, with a Thurday evening dress rehearsal. Class performance dates will be set after the first semester of classes, allowing time for families to plan.
- There is no recital fee. Families will receive 5 tickets for the recital perfomances with additional tickets available for purchase.
Additional Studio Policies
- In order to foster the best environment for learning, and keep distractions to a minimum, the blinds to the studios will be closed for all classes with the exception of Creative Movement and Basic Dance.
- Observation days will be set, where parents are encouraged to watch their child’s class. We will have specially designated areas for this purpose and ask that you observe quietly. Instructors reserve the right to eject anyone from the observation area for creating a disturbance or distraction.
- Videotaping may only be done with instructor permission. Any video taken during class should not be posted online anywhere without consent from the instructor and choreographer.
- If remaining at the studio with your child, parents are asked to wait in the hallway seating area for all classes.
- Inclement weather: If the Green Bay Public Schools are closed or dismissed early due to weather emergencies, classes will be cancelled and an email will be sent to the addresses on file. PLEASE use your own judgment whether to send your student to class.
- Personal Conduct: No food, gum, or drink is allowed in the studio. No street shoes are allowed on the dance floors. Students and parents are expected to pick up after themselves. No smoking on the premises – this includes the parking lot. No one under the influence of drugs or alcohol is allowed in the buildings. Please show respect for your instructors, fellow dancers, yourself, and for the studio property. If a student or parent acts in a manner that creates an unsafe learning environment, the student will be dismissed immediately. No refund will be given if a student or their family is asked to leave class or the studio due to misconduct. Shirley Van’s Dance Studio reserves the right to ask a student/family to leave the Studio for failure to follow the Studio Policies.